Monday, November 16, 2009

Stake Conference and a Mattress on the Floor

Hi family!

How are things?

We got our transfer call this Friday with some somewhat surprising news. I'm pleased to report that I will be Elder Morales' first two-transfer companion. We get to stay together in Bay City, meaning I will be here for our baptism on Friday. Yes! We will also be getting a third companion, Elder Alder. He's got just two transfers left in his mission and has actually served in Bay City before. We're excited to have him, although a little unsure of where we're going to put him. The extra mattress we've got is now taking up all the floor space in the bedroom and we're looking for a third desk.

I feel like I spent my week in a suit. (Normally we only wear our suits to meetings, which we had Wednesdsay, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.) Wednesday was district meeting in Bad Axe, followed by trade-offs (more on that in a moment), Thursday was our monthly meeting with the Stake Presidency, which went really well. We reported on how the units in the Stake are progressing with Elder Perry's new mission plan and we're hoping to see more initiative among ward and branch leaders. Saturday and Sunday was Stake Conference. There were lots of excellent talks. A lot seemed to revolve around the principle of sanctification (at least in what the Spirit taught me), which I appreciated because I've been studying it a lot lately and will be leading a discussion on it in our district leader council tomorrow morning. Sara Webster, who is being baptized on Friday, was able to attend the Sunday meetings, including an early meeting for new members and soon-to-be new members. The Spirit was so powerful as the Stake President, Mission President, and others bore their testimonies in an intimate setting.

So, back to tradeoffs last Wednesday. I was in Bay City with Elder Hoffman; we had a good time. The funny part of this story comes while we were driving back to Bad Axe. We were almost there when a daring, little squirrel darted out into the road. I considered my options. My first inclination was to swerve to hit him, but deciding that would be impolite and un-Christlike, I moved just slightly so he would pass directly between the tires, seeing as there was not time to avoid passing over him completely.

Unfortunately, my plan did not succeed. Elder Hoffman and I heard a loud THUNK and looked back to see what was left of our poor rodent friend. We were very puzzled when we couldn't spot even a flattened patch of fur on the highway behind us. We pulled over to inspect the undercarriage of the car, seeing if he was somehow flattened against something. Much to our surprise, we found the poor squirrel half inside our grill and half out of it, his little leg caught in between the plastic grill and the bumper. To top it all off, he was still alive and wiggling around to loose himself.

Once we got back to the Bad Axe apartment (just a couple minutes away) we pried the squirrel's leg loose. We couldn't get him to come out of the bumper, though (the only way out was back through the grill), so we went down to the police station. They were unfortunately unhelpful, so we headed back to Bay City. Somewhere along the way our furry friend decided to jump ship. It was a fun adventure.

I hope all is well. We're looking forward to our baptism on Friday. Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Cloward



Here's a couple from the last two district meetings I attended and from our fun friend the squirrel.




No comments: