Monday, July 12, 2010

Corned Beef and Sauerkraut = The Nature of Happiness

Hi Family!

We've had a pretty good week here at MSU. It's been pretty warm this week (highs in the 90s with high humidity) and a little bit rainy. Daniel and Alex are still progressing and doing well. We were able to have several lessons with them and got together with several members from the ward (our ward mission leader set things up for us) to watch the Restoration DVD. I think it helped them better understand our message through a visual representation. Alex had a hard time understanding; I think because the language used in the video matches Joseph Smith-History and not a modern English vernacular. Daniel seemed to understand just fine; I think it helps that he has been reading the Book of Mormon in English, while Alex prefers to read in Chinese.

Zone leader council on Tuesday was fun. We presented the adjustments Salt Lake is making to missions worldwide in order to implement the Simplified Curriculum. I'm really excited for what will take place in the coming year in sharpening missionaries' teaching skills. All the training is focused on clearing away the clutter and making our teaching a better environment for the Spirit to testify of truth. I'm a little sad I won't be able to receive/help with all this training myself, but I'm excited to work as a member with missionaries who are better trained and prepared than I have been. The Spirit made it clear to me that these adjustments and changes are led by the spirit of revelation, which is the foundation of the Church of Jesus Christ. He is at the head of this church and this great redemptive work.

We blitzed Traverse City last Friday, which was a lot of fun. I don't know if I told you about the Silver Swan restaurant we ate at the last time we were there, but they serve the best Reuben Sandwich I've eaten. (To be fair, it probably ties with the Reuben I had when mom and I were in Connecticut visiting Yale.) President Jones recommended the place (and specifically the Reuben) and we ate there the last two times we've been up to Traverse City. In addition to a delicious sandwich, I got to spend the day with Elder Riley, which was really fun. They've a lot of great member missionary work happening in the Traverse City branch and it means they're teaching a ton of investigators. We taught a man who was the husband of a recent convert, a 16-year old adopted son of less-active parents, a member family's neighbor, and a less-active brother with a desire to return to the temple and be sealed to his wife, who is not a member. And Elder Taylor and Elder Johnson were busy teaching the whole day too. It was great!

I love you! Thanks for all your support!

Elder Cloward

No comments: