Monday, June 28, 2010

There is an Earwig Somewhere in the Library...

Hello Family!

We had some fun companion exchanges and good work this week!

Wednesday we had an exchange with the Portland elders. Elder Taylor and Elder Valentine worked in the Portland area (and actually had a lesson with Lindsey, who lives in their area but was recently baptized in our singles ward). Elder Andersen came to MSU with me. We had some really great finding on campus and talked with a girl named Felicia from Muskegon, who allowed us to sit down with her and share the message of the Restoration. The lesson was great and the Spirit was strong. Unfortunately, this is finals week for the first summer semester (MSU has two sessions) so she wasn't sure when she could meet again, but she did say that even if we were never able to talk again she would remember our meeting for the rest of her life. We had a similar lesson with a Chinese student named Ray, who really enjoyed our visit but returns to China tomorrow. He said he'd meet back up with missionaries in the fall. (It's a little sad to know I won't be one of those missionaries.) It was also fun to spend a day with Elder Andersen, who was in my MTC district and in the Hart district with me almost a year ago.

Friday we had an exchange with Grandville Spanish. I got to spend the day in Grand Rapids with Elder Morales while Elder Patino came to MSU with Elder Taylor. My Spanish was extremely rusty but Elder Morales was very generously complimentary. We had one lesson in Spanglish, which was nice, but Elder Morales had me teach how Dios revela su evangelio en cada dispensacion (or something like that) in a couple other lessons and he had me quote from Joseph Smith - History as well. Thankfully, in a lesson with Andres, a new investigator they found knocking doors a few days before, it didn't matter that I messed up the quotation a little bit. Andres realized he already knew the Joseph Smith story; he ordered the Restoration DVD from the church a few years ago but never requested missionaries. We had a great lesson; he said he felt that we were sent by God in answer to his prayers. The whole day made me wish I had been called as a Spanish-speaking missionary. But ...


I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
I ought not to harrow up in my desires, the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction (Alma 29:3-4).

It was also fun to spend the day with Elder Morales, whom I hadn't seen too much since we served together in Bay City. "And what added more to [my] joy, [he was] still [my brother] in the Lord" (Alma 17:2). (I'm not sure it's good that I've developed a habit of quoting the Book of Mormon in every other breath. Elder Barney once pointed out that weird missionary jokes would probably not be impressive on post-mission dates and Book of Mormon quotes might fit in that category.)

Overall, the week was great. We taught seven new people this week. Three became new investigators (meaning, we'll meet with them again), one moved to Tennessee the day after our lesson, two move back to China this week, and one has finals (hopefully we'll meet again with her afterward). Daniel, who we've taught for several weeks, decided in our lesson this week that he would like to be baptized and we set a date with him for July 24th. Alex, who is scheduled to be baptized July 10th is still progressing and doing really well.

I love you and I'm so grateful for all your love, prayers, and support. I am blessed by your faith and by the goodness of your lives!

Love,
Elder Cloward

No comments: