Monday, February 22, 2010

Mandarin and Korean but mostly just English

Hi family!

We had a great week. Here are some highlights for you:


I got to have a trade-off with Elder Taylor back in Bay City, which was really fun. It felt strange to be so at-home on a trade-off. I was glad to see a few of the people I knew while serving there, especially since we got to teach Jake and Christian, who were baptized in December and January. I wish I could have gone on a trade-off with both Elder Taylor and Elder Smith, since I've served with both of them before, but I guess that's all right. They're doing so well together and tearing it up in Bay City!
It's snowing right now. I guess that's all right, since it's still February and we've had a really warm week (up to the low 40s) otherwise.

I had a blast in a lesson last night with a Chinese couple. They had been taught previously by the other MSU elders who were transferred out. Xhifu is a student from Beijing studying abroad at State. His wife Jan-Wei is here with him. They speak English fairly well and understood us as long as we spoke slowly and clearly. Christianity is very new to them but they are fascinated by it and have lots and lots of questions. They've been reading the Bible together. We answered some of their questions about Jesus Christ's relationship to God the Father and helped them understand that Jesus Christ is Jehovah, or the God of the Old Testament. We also shared with them Joseph Smith's First Vision experience and a copy of the Book of Mormon, which Xhifu seemed very excited to read. I'm only disappointed because we'll have to let the Williamston elders teach them, since they serve in a family ward.
Saturday night we had a great lesson with a student from Korea named Jin. He grew up in the church but is currently agnostic; he finds it hard to believe anything he cannot see or that cannot be proven to him scientifically. His friend Edward, also from South Korea, joined us. Edward told us he has been searching for peace in his life because he has a terrible relationship with his father. He started with Buddhism because that is his family's traditional way of belief, but he didn't feel like it was helping him, so he converted to Catholicism about a month ago. We talked with them about the nature of God and His relationship with us, His children. We had a great discussion, and I feel like we all benefited from it. Afterward, Jin took us out to dinner because he's loaded. He actually took us out on Tuesday too (to a delicious Indian restaurant!).
I can't think of much more to share. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ! And I love you!

Elder Cloward

No comments: